Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Good news - Bad news - Pick one!

My sister wrote an email today. She lives in California with her husband and their thirteen year old daughter. She said there's good news and bad news. The good news is, after thirteen or so years, she finally got pregnant - Yehey! But the bad news...well, the bad news was the ultrasound shows the baby has signs of hydrocephalus...and that devastated her. Well, who wouldn't?

And because of her condition she asked me to pray for the baby and for her. However, there's one problem. I'm an Atheist.

...okay, don't kill me yet. Hear me first.

Apart from my husband, and he’s catholic, and he understood me, the rest of my family doesn’t know. How can I explain to my sister about my situation? I can’t bide her request, but the request itself is making me guilty. What can I do? I can’t tell her for me there’s no God. I can’t tell her -  though I grew up inside the catholic sec, and turned Agnostic and then Atheist - that prayers doesn’t work for me. That it's all about us, it's all about humanity and realism and nothing more.

I...I don't want to upset her.

...shit I feel useless :(

 PS: For those who find me...different - outcast! go on and tell me so, but that’s not what I am here for. I am what I am, and I know how it feels to be uncommon. I was mocked before, and yes, I am stone when it comes to that. But I am here because I need help. Wait. My sister is the one needs help. What form of phrase or words can I tell her that I cannot do what she wants me to do? Other than fly to her and be at her side...

...damn, now I’m crying.


***
Responses from my LJ:

[info]quillaninc (112.213.166.166) wrote:
Jun. 22nd, 2011 10:17 pm (local)
You have every right to feel the way you do, hon, and I say that as a Christian.

The thing about faith - any faith - is that it is personal. You don't have to apologise for that. We mightn't have the same view on things, but the reality is that you're just as likely to be right as I am; that's why it's a 'belief'.

How about just saying that she's in your thoughts every day/morning/what-have-you? It's not untrue, and it implies the same thing. You don't have to go into specifics, but you don't have to deny your own feelings either.

I agree with you, that now's not the time to air your different perspectives, and given the intensity of Catholic doctrine, it may never be. You're not wrong there. It's to your credit that you both want to be honest, and yet don't want to cause any hurt.

As long as you're making a genuine effort in your way, I don't see any reason for you to feel guilty. Prayer is her way; action is yours. Neither are inherently right or wrong.

As a separate issue, though, I'll keep your sister in my own prayers. But that's a faith choice I make, it's not to give you any feelings of inadequacies whatsoever, and I want you to believe that.

In the end, the only thing you need to do is love her. And that's something you don't have to compromise.

[info]una_animo (112.198.64.91) wrote:
Jun. 22nd, 2011 10:29 pm (local)
Oh thank you, thank you...you don't know how happy I am while reading your comment right now...

*snif* Oh now you made me cry again...

Thank you for the prayers. I'll do what I can to make her happy. I missed her so much, you know.

*Hugs*

[info]quillaninc (112.213.166.166) wrote:
Jun. 22nd, 2011 11:35 pm (local)
You're so very welcome!

Missing someone makes it all the harder. One of my longest, closest friends attempted suicide after losing both her brother and her dad the same way. The worst part of it was being 5 hours away and being unable to do anything because I have trouble travelling that far, so I know exactly what you mean. All you can do is be at the other end of the phone, sometimes.

You take care of yourself, too, okay? *hugs!!*

[And I'll just go wipe my eyes now, as well. :)]

[info]confusion_hime (58.69.237.10) wrote:
Jun. 23rd, 2011 06:28 am (local)
Um... I seriously don't know what to say, though I feel yours and your sister's pain. I'm an atheist as well and like you, my family and friends have no idea I am one. I've experienced having people asking me to pray for them or for their loved ones and it is pretty hard to react to that and say you will when you don't believe in religion or in God. But whenever I'm faced with that kind of situation, I can only hope and say that everything is going to be okay and try to make that person feel that I'm there.

It can be difficult to do that on your part since your sister is in another country, but I'm sure a message and call from you or from your family and friends will definitely make her feel that many people are there for her.

I really hope that you, your sister and her baby is going to be okay. *rubs your back*

[info]una_animo (110.55.35.182) wrote:
Jun. 23rd, 2011 04:52 pm (local)
Thanks dude, I really need that *snif snif*